Providing A Lifetime Impact On The Children And Families We Serve
When you need authentic advocacy in the areas of children’s rights and family law, turn to the lifelong experience of the family law attorneys at Fiddler Osband, LLC. We believe in seeking justice and know that what we do has an impact on every child and family with which we work. Let us serve your legal needs by first listening to your goals and then working with you to determine the best legal strategy for you.
The Types Of Cases We Handle
From our Edina law office, we can be your legal advocates in family law matters including:
- Family law advocacy and mediation: We offer services for divorce, custody, parenting time, child support, adoption and post-decree disputes.
- Adoption, offering both birth parent and adoptive parent representation: Our adoption proceeding services include direct placement adoptions, agency adoptions, interstate adoptions, contested adoptions and adoptions involving the Indian Child Welfare Act (ICWA).
- Foster care and permanency proceedings: If children cannot live in their own homes due to abuse or neglect, court-ordered foster care may be provided. We can guide foster parents through the adoption and permanency processes to determine where children should be placed permanently.
- Third-party custody: If adults who are not a child’s parents want custody, we can advocate for these parties. Attorney Fiddler is passionate about representation for this type of case, as he drafted and lobbied for third-party custody law passage.
- Estate Planning: We can assist you in planning for your future and the future of your family. Estate planning options include wills, health care directives (living wills), power of attorney documents as well as trusts. We offer all estate planning on a flat fee basis.
Though we prefer to do collaborative or cooperative divorces, Attorney Osband will always be prepared to litigate in a traditional marriage dissolution.
Staunch Advocacy For ICWA
The ICWA is a law passed by Congress that helps preserve American Indian families and culture with enhanced procedural protections to prevent the unwarranted removal of American Indian children from their homes. This act also strives to ensure that when American Indian children are removed from their families, they are placed in culturally appropriate homes whenever possible. ICWA applies to cases involving an American Indian child and custody proceedings in juvenile court, including foster care, termination and adoption proceedings. ICWA also may apply in third-party custody cases in family court.
Attorney Fiddler, renowned for his ICWA work, is passionate about these cases and can assist with the following concerns:
- ICWA voluntary adoptions: ICWA provides flexibility to protect the best interests of Indian children. It gives birth parents the right to place their children with families of their choosing. Attorney Fiddler developed effective procedures to comply with the ICWA and work in conjunction with birth parents, adoptive parents and adoption agencies to promote voluntary American Indian adoptions. Tribes may be consulted about these adoptions, but it is a myth that tribes have veto power over the decisions of fit birth parents.
- ICWA nationwide attorney consulting: Attorney Fiddler consults with attorneys from other states who require assistance handling difficult ICWA cases. He serves as co-counsel to provide crucial assistance, briefs, case law, strategic advice and instant “on tap” know-how to attorneys from all over the United States. In special cases, he appears as co-counsel with local attorneys in other states.